Akero Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing transformative therapies for patients with metabolic disease. Our lead candidate, EFX, is a rationally designed, long-acting FGF21 analog currently in a phase 2b study for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH).
Akero is seeking a Senior Scientist, reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer. Location is flexible, with ability to work remotely much of the time.
Purpose and Responsibilities
In this role, the preclinical scientist will:
- Oversee and provide scientific input to Akero’s portfolio of external preclinical experimental studies, with a focus on (i) understanding the biological profile of EFX in NASH compared to other FGF21 analogs or competing mechanisms in NASH, and (ii)exploring alternative disease indications for EFX through collaborative or sponsored research with academic researchers or CROs;
- Provide scientific insight into and critical evaluation of potential preclinical and clinical pipeline acquisitions;
- Assist in analysis of data generated in preclinical studies and clinical trials;
- Draft scientific abstracts, manuscripts, presentations, and posters arising from preclinical studies and clinical trials;
- Participate in ongoing monitoring and assessment of the competitive landscape in NASH and related metabolic diseases;
- As needed, manage preclinical project(s) within Akero’s portfolio
- MD and/or PhD in life sciences, biochemistry, biophysics, or related field; experience in translational or clinical research preferred
- Ability to form lateral associations to generate novel insights
- Agile learner able to quickly move between areas of biology and medicine outside of core expertise
- Innovative and creative researcher, relying on multiple sources for material
- Effective communicator of biomedical science, concepts to diverse audiences
- Independent, self-starter able to perform and thrive with minimal oversight
- Credible as a scientist with external stakeholders (biomedical researchers, CRO scientists and project managers)
- Problem solver, able to balance cost to solve vs. impact of solution on core business goals
- Strong emotional intelligence, effective interpersonal and networking skills
- Able to add value to the team-oriented atmosphere through personal energy, passion and time management
We invite qualified applicants who share our commitment to send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].